BRANDING | SOCIAL MEDIA
Healthy Start is a non-profit organization that helps people who are pregnant or have a child under 1 year old. They provide resources as well as counselling to ensure proper nourishment of newborn or soon-to-be born babies.
Given that Healthy Start’s content is informational, having design that accentuates this is essential, as it allows for more people to access the important resources that they provide. Therefore, developing a brand presence that is inclusive, clear and inviting is critical.
The design of the logo communicates multiple perspectives of the brand’s message while also being inclusive and symbolic. The avocado shape represents healthy eating, while also symbolizing pregnancy.
The heart “pit” helps reinforce this idea, as it simultaneously represents a child being embraced. There were some challenges that were faced while developing the logo and toolkit:
Updating, without rewriting
- Keeping the brand’s message at the core of the design
- Being willing to go back to the drawing board
Representation without exclusion
- Use symbolic and universal themes to represent the brand
- Push past the obvious
SOCIAL MEDIA PRESENCE:
A strong social media presence will help unify the brand and aids in delivering clear and concise information. Using mobile phones to access content is only increasing in demand, so having an information based and well-designed Instagram/Facebook is favourable.
There were several different challenges and strategies that were considered in the development of the social media presence:
Fun and informational
- Introduce illustrative elements
- Explore the colour palette
Readable without being overwhelming
- Break text-based posts into slides
- Keep the important content central
Passing the torch
- Simple/easy elements to replicate
- Presets with little constraints; wider range of content
Bold, clear headlines
- Helps users find information easily
- Hierarchy allows for easy reading
Weekly plan: posts that follow routine
- Allows brand to build community
- Easy for new designers to take over
User engagement posts (Tips)
- Encourages the spread of information
- Allows community to feel welcome